Thursday, December 11, 2008

'Tis the Season

So, ok, I know I’ve been a bad, bad blogger. But I have a confession to make: cooking, recently, hasn’t provided me with as much joy as it usually does. I think I’m just in a mini funk, and I’m sure it will resolve itself. But it’s been a little disheartening.

This might sound strange…it sounds strange to me, even, but I had an awful, awful migraine a few weeks ago, and I really think it did something to my brain that made me apathetic toward all food. I had no real appetite for a few days after, and I even came home from work one night and nothing sounded good to me except pizza or waffles. {Don’t worry, I’m not pregnant.} So we went out for pizza. That’s just so not like me. That weird palette issue hasn’t happened again, but I have since been a little disinterested in the kitchen. I have made a few things recently I want to share, so bear with me as I pull myself out of my blogging/cooking funk and get some pictures up here. Meantime...

I have a feeling that the Christmas soirée Jason and I are hosting in our new little house this weekend may remedy this meh-in-the-kitchen feeling I’ve been stricken with. I’ve devised a menu of cocktail-hour bites for our friends…I’ll take pictures and share recipes for everything at/after the party. {I’m not really one for making up my own baked goods, so I’ve linked the recipes for the desserts.} We’ll also have beer and wine, along with an alcoholic dessert of sorts.

Happy Christmas!

Savories…
Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork Sliders with Roasted Garlic Aïoli
Chicken Puff Pastry Bites Lemon-Parsley Chicken Skewers with Parsley Oil and Homemade Ranch
Black-Pepper Biscuits with Smoked Salmon
Rosemary-White-Bean Dip with Parmesan Crostini
Parmesan & Black Pepper Popcorn

Sweets…
Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Butterscotch Bark
Store-Bought Amaretti Cookies
Jason’s “Puppy Chow”

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I have felt the same way! No desire to cook... I think it's just that things tend to be hectic around the holidays, and cooking/eating just isn't at the top of the list on a lot of weeknights. But your party menu sounds delish!!!! :)

Colleen said...

Don't worry, it happens to all of us! Before you know it, you will be inspired by something and be back in the kitchen full force!